October is National Bullying Prevention Month!
School administrators are the first line of defense against bullying as schools are the primary place where this behavior occurs.
According to stopbullying.gov, about 20% of students ages 12-18 experienced bullying nationwide. There are warning signs of bullying that are important for educators to notice.
Here are some signs a child is being bullied from stopbullying.gov:
- Lost or destroyed clothing, books, electronics, or jewelry
- Frequent headaches or stomach aches, feeling sick, or faking illness
- Changes in eating habits, like suddenly skipping meals or binge eating. Kids may come home from school hungry because they did not eat lunch.
- Declining grades, loss of interest in schoolwork, or not wanting to go to school
- Sudden loss of friends or avoidance of social situations
The member companies of Utica National would like to remind you of some resources that are available to you at no additional charge, to assist you with bullying prevention.
Vector Solutions Online Training system offers the below courses that will assist staff to help prevent incidents of bullying.
- Bullying: Recognition & Response
- Conflict Management: Student-to Student
- Making Schools Safe for LGBT Students
- Online Safety: Cyberbullying
Get started with your Vector Solutions training today, by calling Vector Solutions at 800-434-0154 or emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Utica National’s School Emergency Preparedness Program with our partner CLPS Consultancy Group includes Bullying Assessment Training and Software. This web-based software allows schools to efficiently conduct bullying intervention assessments for incidents of reported bullying at school.
Contact Education Institute Segment Specialist John Acee at 315-734-2556 to learn more on our Emergency Preparedness Program.
NOTICE: This information is provided solely as an insurance risk management tool. It is provided with the understanding that the member insurance companies of the Utica National Insurance Group are not providing legal advice, risk management advice, or any other professional services or advice. Utica National shall have no liability to any person or entity with respect to any loss or damages alleged to have been caused, directly or indirectly, by the use of this information. You are encouraged to consult an attorney or other professional for advice on these issues.